Certifying Acceptance Agent - CAA ITIN Services

What is an ITIN?

An ITIN (Individual Taxpayer Identification Number) is a tax identification number only available for certain foreigners and nonresident individuals, their spouses and dependents who cannot get a SSN – Social Security Number from the SSA (Social Security Administration). ITIN’s are for federal tax reporting only and are not intended to serve any other purpose. IRS issues ITINs to help individuals comply with the U.S. tax laws, and to provide a means to efficiently process and account for tax returns and payments for those not eligible for SSNs.

What is a Certified Acceptance Agent?

A Certified Acceptance Agent is a person or an entity (business or organization) who, pursuant to a written agreement with the IRS, is authorized to assist individuals and other foreign persons who do not qualify for a Social Security Number but who still need a Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN). A Certified Acceptance Agent can certify original identity documents so that (in most cases) the original documents do not need to be sent to the IRS.  The Certified Acceptance Agent issues a Certificate of Accuracy (COA) for the submitted documents. Note who cannot issue a Certificate of Accuracy (COA): 1.An Acceptance Agent (AA) cannot issue a Certificate of Accuracy – original documents must still be submitted to the IRS.2.A Certified Public Accountant (CPA) cannot issue a Certificate of Accuracy – original documents must still be submitted to the IRS.3.A Enrolled Agent (EA) cannot issue a Certificate of Accuracy – original documents must still be submitted to the IRS.4.A Notary Public cannot issue a Certificate of Accuracy – original documents must still be submitted to the IRS

We offer complete ITIN service which includes preparation of the following forms:

  1. Form W-7, Application for Individual Taxpayer Identification Number
  2. Form W-7, (COA) Certificate of Accuracy for an IRS individual Taxpayer Identification Number, along with required identity documentation.
  3. Tax return review and tax return preparation if needed for an ITIN Form W-7 Application.
  4. ITIN renewal service [as of 2016 all ITIN’s expire and need to be renewed]

Advantages of using O’Grady Financial Services, LLC – Certified Acceptance Agent (CAA)

  1. Kimberly O’Grady/O’Grady Financial Services, LLC is a CAA for ITINs and will help to process ITINs primarily for H1-B, L1 and F-1 visa holders’ families in the future and can also help foreign authors, overseas investors, etc.
  2. This means that Kimberly has signed a contract with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).DO NOT confuse CAAs with Acceptance Agents (AA) or basic tax preparers who have very limited or no authority.
  3. Kimberly is authorized by the IRS ITIN office and can issue a Certificate of Accuracy (COA) letter.
  4. The COA letter is issued when the taxpayer presents their original passport or passport copies certified by the foreign issuing agency to the CAA.
  5. The CAA has the authority to accept or deny the documents presented. If the CAA is satisfied, only then will the CAA issue the COA letter.
  6. No original Passport is required to be sent to the IRS; Kimberly can certify the copy that is to be provided.  This is unlike an Acceptance Agent (AA), an ITIN application prepared by the taxpayer, or an ITIN prepared by another person who is not a CAA, where you must send the original and/or a certified copy of your Passport to the IRS.
  7. For any dependent, original passport or certified copies from the foreign issuing agency must be provided and mailed to the IRS, along with a COA letter, prepared tax return, and ITIN application(s).
  8. The CAA also prepares and signs the ITIN application and the COA letter.
  9. The CAA has an exclusive (not available to the public) direct phone line with the ITIN office in Austin, TX.
  10. If any issue arises with the ITIN application prepared by the CAA, it can be resolved relatively quickly. Otherwise, it may take up to 6 months should you prepare it yourself. 11. Kimberly O’Grady/O’Grady Financial Services, LLC is listed on the IRS website: Certified Acceptance Agent

Reasons for an ITIN

  • Individuals with business activities related to the US (Note, an ITIN does not grant the privilege to work in the US).
  • Dependents of an individual filing a US Income tax return.
    • Spouse oChildren oParents
  • Individuals receiving US taxable income such as:
    • Inheritances oPensions oAnnuities oInterest oDividends oRoyalties
  • Individuals obtaining US Mortgages.
  • Individuals buying or selling real estate in the United States.
  • Foreign Individuals investing in the US.
  • Individuals subject to US backup withholding.
  • Non-resident aliens required to get an ITIN to claim a Tax Treaty Benefit
  • Non-US individuals who are partners in a US Partnership.
  • Non-US individuals investing in a US Corporation.
  • Non-US individuals investing in a US LLC. •Undocumented Worker.

Documents that can be used to prove ITIN identities include:

  • US Citizenship and Immigration Services Photo Identification.
  • Visa issued by US Department of State.
  • Passport.
  • US Driver’s License.
  • Foreign Military ID Card.
  • US Military ID Card.
  • National Identification Card.
  • United States State ID Card.
  • Civil Birth Certificate.
  • School Records (valid for dependents under 14 years of age).
  • Medical Records (valid for dependents under 14 years of age).
  • Foreign Voter’s Registration Card.

Who Do We Work With?

We are located in Frederick, Maryland and have clients in many different states. While we are required to conduct an in-person interview with each applicant, the IRS does allow the use of video conferencing for the interview. We use various remote services for this purpose. Regardless of where you are, we can help. Schedule an appointment today!